Committed writers dedicated to working together to produce excellent poems, short stories, drama, life writing, and creative non-fiction

Why not contact us for more details about our small, mutually supportive monthly meetings? Don't be shy. No need to be brave!

Sheila 01823 67 28 46 sheilarogers4322@yahoo.com

Valerie 01884 84 04 22 valtay@btinternet.com

Sunday 29 June 2014

Oxygen of respect

We see the same moon
Feel the heat of the same sun
Share the same Christian name

You face impossible choices 
I will never contemplate 
Like selling my body to eat or 
give my father a decent burial

Your small flicker of hope 
waiting for the oxygen of respect 
When you will stand equal in the world 
and in the minds of men

I will never meet you 
Or know your grinding face of poverty
Yet I hear your loud knock 
On my strong secure Western door

© Liz Redfern
All rights reserved

No comments: