Committed writers dedicated to working together to produce excellent poems, short stories, drama, life writing, and creative non-fiction

Why not contact us for more details about our small, mutually supportive monthly meetings? Don't be shy. No need to be brave!

Sheila 01823 67 28 46 sheilarogers4322@yahoo.com

Valerie 01884 84 04 22 valtay@btinternet.com

Wednesday 21 March 2012

Hold On, Just a Little While Longer…

The silence really is deafening.  My mouth and eyes are gritted with sand as I lie, face down, pinned to the ground by an enormous weight across my pelvis.

After what seems like an age of silent stillness, I hear my sister’s calmly panicked footsteps as she approaches us.

‘Put your arms round the back of your head, and I will guide her legs away.  Hold on just a little while longer’

The air suddenly feels three times heavy with apprehension

‘Penny! Now! Roll away! Quick!’

The imprint of my riding glove from when I had first hit the sand could be clearly seen on my face for several days.

Selma and I had shared a frightening experience and we remained together for a further twenty years.

Each with a bad back!

© Penny Smale
All rights reserved

No comments: