Committed writers dedicated to working together to produce excellent poems, short stories, drama, life writing, and creative non-fiction

Why not contact us for more details about our small, mutually supportive monthly meetings? Don't be shy. No need to be brave!

Sheila 01823 67 28 46 sheilarogers4322@yahoo.com

Valerie 01884 84 04 22 valtay@btinternet.com

Thursday 16 March 2017

Anniversary

Just as I was about to leave
my father said, ‘Now,’ in his emphatic way,
‘move this clock to where I can see it.
It’s important I can see the time.’

So I moved the alarm clock,
with its large, uncluttered face
and cracked, sellotaped housing
onto his bedside table.

When I returned the next day
he had been moved to another ward
to drift into that drowsy place
between life and death.

His eyes were shut and for a time
I held his hand and listened to his
laboured, stertorous breathing,
and noticed that a kind nurse

had moved the clock, together with
his false teeth, and had
arranged them on the cubical
next to his bed.

And I wondered idly at what time
the time had ceased to be
important to him – and he 
closed his eyes for ever.

© Tim Scott 
All rights reserved   

No comments: